Friday, July 23, 2010

Life Changes

In the past year there have been some major changes at our house concerning food.  There were basically 2 catalysts for this change: Food Inc. and Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels.
I could tell you all about Food Inc, but you'll just have to watch it.  But don't eat while you watch it!
The cover to Master Your Metabolism is a bit deceiving.  When I first looked at the cover I thought the book was another "diet" book.  This book is so much more than that.   Michaels explains how what we eat actually changes how our body works.
There is also a bit of info about toxins in the environment. This is where I found out about the Cosmetic Safety Data Base. You can type in a beauty product and get a safety rating from 1-10. 10 is the worst. For example, Clinique Happy perfume is an 8! Ingredients in it are linked to neurotoxicity, cancer, and other evils. I know just wearing perfume isn't going to give me cancer; but I would rather wear something less poisonous on my skin.
I could go on and on about how much I learned from reading the book and watching the documentary. 
Basically we now try to only eat whole organic foods.  I say "try" because it takes a long time to complely overhaul your diet.   We buy our meat from a local organic farmer.  You would be amazed at how much better the food tastes without all the pesticides and additives.
I was completly overwhelmed with all of the new knowlege I gained from these two sources.  I felt like, "Well there's so much junk in our food and environment I'll never be able to combat all that so why try?".  I have come to the realization that there are a lot of little things, like perfume that I can control.  I believe that all those little things can add up to a lot when it comes to our health.

No comments: