Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tortillas!

Today I decided to take the plunge and attempt homemade tortillas.  I am always hesitant to try cooking new things.  I have had many failed ventures.
First, I surfed the web.  I discovered that there are HUNDREDS of tortilla recipes.  Everyone seems to have their own combination of flour, water, baking powder, and oil/lard/butter/shortening.  Finally I settled on one that had thousands of rave reviews.  Surely if thousands of people can successfully complete this simple list of steps, I can too....Wrong.
After Caroline saw my first tortilla she said, "You're not making tortillas.  You're making pancakes."


Ok.  I made the dough super thin the next time.  It resembles a tortilla, but it was as stiff as cardboard.


After about 12 failed tortillas, I thought, "Maybe I could make pizza dough or something with the rest of the dough."  Then it happend.

It may not look like much, but this tortilla is perfect!


Making tortillas is hard work for an ametueur cook like me. 
My attempts to recreate this master piece were...

Well, you get the drift.

I have discovered that making homemade tortillas is an art form and I am not an artist.

2 comments:

Ashley Franks said...

I think they look great! Besides, who cares if they're perfect! It's the fact that they are so much healthier than store bought tortillas! You need to talk to Matt. He makes them a lot!

Lisa Parsons said...

I'm pretty sure Pappasitos would hire you ;)